Balancing the Root Chakra
by Dr. Mary Jo Cravatta
The Root Chakra is the first of the body”s Energy Centers. It is located in the perineal area – you are sitting on your Root Chakra. It creates your foundation, your sense of wholeness and well being.
The Root Chakra is related to the Earth Element. There are 5 Elements: Space, Air, Fire, Water, and Earth. The Root Chakra, or the Earth Element, is the stabilizing factor that allows the other Elements / Chakras to unfold in a balanced manner. If the Root Chakra is out of balance, then it will affect your ability to effectively clear and work on the other Chakras.
If we look with an Ayurvedic perspective, one of the reasons for this is that the Root Chakra is closely associated with Prana Vata – the upward moving Vata that is mostly in the brain, head, nervous system, and governs the electrical system of the heart. But Prana Vata is also located throughout your entire body – affecting the proper movement of “information” in the nervous system, vascular system, endocrine system, the 5 senses, and every cell in the body.
If Prana Vata is disturbed, someone may begin to feel out of sorts, tired, lack of focus, and generally ungrounded.
If this continues on, it may lead to actual symptoms of one or more of the following: Anxiety, Depression, Addictions, Headache, Blood Pressure abnormalities, Insomnia, Sleep Apnea, Asthma, Chronic Fatigue, Arrhythmia, Immune System problems, teeth grinding – and so much more.
The Root Chakra is also closely associated with Apana Vata – the downward moving Vata that is in the abdominal area. It is responsible for elimination of toxins, feces, menstrual blood, and urine.
Many times, the Root Chakra may play a role in digestive complaints such as: constipation, gas, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, irritable bowel, or colon cancer. But it could also be low back pain, menstrual cramps, prostate problems, or cold feet.
Those of you who have had consultations with me know that there is a level in your pulse that indicates what Chakra you are working on for your Life Lesson. But even if you are not actually working on the Root Chakra as your “Main” Chakra , if you have a Prana Vata imbalance or an Apana Vata imbalance, slots online this will indicate that the Root Chakra needs attention.
The Root Chakra becomes disturbed by keeping an irregular daily routine, going to bed late, not effectivvely dealing with your stress, multi tasking and doing two things at once, flying in an airplane, changing time zones, taking stimulants (including caffeine and nicotine), watching television, physical / emotional traumas, and excessive talking. Many western medicine “mind” drugs will also adversely affect Prana Vata (eventhough you may take them DUE to a Prana Vata imbalance).
The Kundalini that resides in the Root Chakra carries the soul information from lifetime to lifetime. For those who are actively working on their spiritual progress, it makes it even all the more necessary to live life in a manner that will assist in grounding the Root Chakra.
How do we bring a sense of wholeness and well being to the Root Chakra?
- First of all, it is very important to follow the Ayurvedic Daily Routine – please refer to the Shaktiveda”s Daily Routine articlefor more information.
- Avoid foods that are Vata aggravating such as: cold, dry foods – crackers, popcorn, toast, chips, iced drinks, large salads, ice cream, and excessive pungent, bitter, & astringent tastes in general.
- Be sure to have plenty of time in your day for relaxation – especially meditation, yoga, and pranayama. Taking soothing, quiet walks in nature.
- The Shaktiveda Herbal Formula Calm Within is specifically designed to balance the Root Chakra and Prana Vata. For more information on this Herbal Formula Calm Within, visit Shaktiveda”s Ayurvedic Product Page
- Have regular Pancha Karma. If you are not able to have Pancha Karma at each change of season, then be sure to have 1 week of Pancha Karma at least once per year. This can be an at home Cleansing. Shaktiveda Herbal has many products to assist in cleansing. The most recent addition is our Detox Veda Line of Products. Designed for Internal and External Cleansing. For more information, please email or call.
www.shaktiveda.com Dr. Mary Jo Cravatta Grass Valley, CA 95945 – 530-273-8716
Ayurvedic Herbal Products – Ayurvedic Consultations – Ayurvedic Cleansing Programs – Shaktiveda Yoga (Workshops, Yoga Classes, Yoga DVDs)
Experience the Joy that can be experienced by the Shaktiveda Ayurveda approach to health and well being in our Berkeley, CA or Grass Valley offices. If you are not in Northern California, you may have your consultation by either phone or by Skype.